Data Use Agreement
Data collected under the auspices of the SBC LTER are available to the public after primary publication, or at most two years after the completion of the study unless proprietary restrictions are warranted. As a member of the Long Term Ecological Research Network, SBC (and users of its data) also abide by the LTER Network Data Policy (2005). Use of SBC LTER data is subject to acceptance of the following conditions:
- The user of SBC LTER data agrees to contact the data owner (i.e., the SBC investigator responsible for data) prior to publishing. Where appropriate, users whose projects are integrally dependent on SBC LTER data are encouraged to consider collaboration and/or co-authorship with the data owner.
- The user agrees to cite SBC LTER in all publications that use SBC LTER data by including the following statement in the Acknowledgments: "Data were provided by the Santa Barbara Coastal LTER, funded by the US National Science Foundation (OCE 0620276)".
- The user agrees to send the full citation of any publication using SBC LTER data to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Users are prohibited from selling or redistributing any data provided by SBC LTER.
- Extensive efforts are made to ensure that online data are accurate and up to date, but SBC LTER will not take responsibility for any errors that may exist.
- Any violation of the terms of this agreement will result in immediate forfeiture of the data and loss of access privileges to other SBC LTER data sets.